Bank of America making more significant moves in social media

As noted on the BofA Future Banking blog, they are now also seeking out customers, or others needing assistance on twitter.  This is consequential stuff for a Bank.  Here are a few sample twits.  User names masked here.  Clearly something has taken hold at BofA that is setting them apart from most others, and moving them into Wells Fargo territory.  Interesting stuff, and other Banks take note.

Bank of America on twitter

@_______ Can you send me a DM with your contact information? I’ll give you a call to see what we can do. Thanks!”

Lock yesterday at 1:25 pm – Comment HideMore
“@________ I work for B of A, were you able to get it resolved? Anything I can do to help?”

January 15, 2009 at 16:44

1. I saw those come across in the last couple of days. I couldn’t believe it either. The person later stated that they were not the “official” bank of america person, they just worked there. You too can see it if you set up search.twitter.com for “bank of america”. There may be others but I dont have any “wachovia” or “nations bank” searches set up.

jason

January 16, 2009 at 09:20

2. Good for them it’s an excellent opportunity to engage customers and exceed expectations and it’s not hard to do as long as you have the right person/people for the job.

Elsa

January 16, 2009 at 09:40

3. It’s good if it’s legit employees taking up the cause. Otherwise it could turn into a new way of phishing.

Peter

January 16, 2009 at 10:42

4. Today at 11:00 AM I spoke to a bank representative in Old Lyme CT. My checking account had overdrawn, my fault I know, I was not aware of many direct payments going out, insurance, auto, rent, etc. I am a teacher, making only $23,000 a year and trying to get by. The number of direct payments added up in a few days time and over $300 worth of over draft charges were accrued. I didn’t realize that they had taken so much out of my savings, with the extra deductions for over drafts that I am now well into my next month, after 5 DAYS and about to have all the auto payments take me over again. I will never get out of this. My credit will be ruined by the end of this month and then I have no where to turn. I may be homeless in 2 months.

I begged both the Bank Manager in Old Lyme and Eric in Custoner service to just give me a break once. NOW. I asked if he could just take half out, I asked if I could pay by the month. anything to save me.

Now I see another full page add, almost everyday, in the NYTimes. B of A touting themselves and saying how they want a good relationship with the customer.

The local bank would call before they bounced a check and let you have a chance to even borrow the money to save this from happening.

My brothers work for CNN and Turner, should I just put this out for the news on the Government lending? These people want help but won’t help a poor consumer.

By tomorrow I will be overdrawn again.

colby gargano