The Bankwatch

Tracking the consumer evolution of financial services

The State of Munich’s Linux Migration

This is a great story showing that an organisation, in this case a government, can adopt linux. The bad news is that is has taken so long, and I am sure this reflects the denial of users and managers. All I can say as a loyal linux user, is give it time and it will work.

The State of Munich’s Ongoing Linux Migration | Slashdot

Currently, about 60% of desktops are using OpenOffice, with the remaining 40% to be completed by the end of 2009. Firefox and Thunderbird are being used in all of the city’s desktop machines.

Written by Colin Henderson

July 12, 2009 at 23:59

Posted in Uncategorized

2 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. “I am sure this reflects the denial of users and managers”

    Spoken like someone who has never worked a day in IT in his life (or read the article it appears). A large migration to any new system takes time. Whether it be Windows, Linux, SAP, PeopleSoft, etc… In a lot of ways Linux is harder to roll out as the tools needed to support such a large implementation simply do not exist. But if done intelligently they should see savings from it.

    (personally I always found OpenOffice too unstable to use for any extended period of time so hopefully this effort spurs improvement in that suite)

    tim

    July 13, 2009 at 07:07

  2. Open source is gaining ground, that’s good!

    Munich expat

    July 20, 2009 at 05:30


Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: